The Office of Emergency Management is dedicated to upholding emergency management standards in the areas of preparedness, mitigation, response and recovery in order to save lives and protect property during a major emergency or disaster.
The City of La Marque Office of Emergency Management (OEM) is responsible for coordinating the preparedness for any major emergency or disaster affecting the City of La Marque. More specifically, the OEM is responsible for:
- Coordinating the City's homeland security efforts with other public safety departments and allied agencies
- Developing, revising and exercising La Marque's emergency plan and related plans in coordination with other City departments and allied agencies
- Developing and maintaining mutual aid agreements with other municipalities and other governmental entities in the county and state
- Managing the City's Emergency Operations Center (EOC) to provide a coordinated response to disasters and other emergencies
- Planning, conducting and coordinating disaster preparedness exercises for City personnel and allied agencies
OEM also serves as the City's liaison to other agencies relative to emergency preparedness matters, including the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), Texas Division of Emergency Management and the countywide multi-jurisdictional Local Emergency Planning Committee.
The Office of Emergency Management works closely with the Police Department to ensure vital information is communicated to the public as quickly as possible. Emergency information is disseminated in a variety of ways, including:
- Activation of the CAER Sirens
- Continuous postings on the City's website
- Emergency press releases through the print and broadcast media
- Recorded messages using the Blackboard Connect system
- Televised broadcasts on the Texas City/La Marque government access television station, Channel 16.