Home fires are more prevalent in winter. The use of space heaters results in more fires and fire fatalities than any other heating sources. Safe space heater practices include:
- Keep heaters at least 3 feet away from drapes, furniture, or other flammable materials.
- Put heaters on a level surface away from where people or pets might knock them over.
- Plug heaters only into outlets with sufficient capacity and never into extension cords.
- Never leaving space heaters unattended or running while you sleep.
- Keeping electric heaters away from water. Never use them near a sink or in the bathroom.
- Never use or store flammable or combustible liquids near or in rooms with heaters.
Have a Plan
Test your smoke alarms monthly. If you don't already have a home escape plan, make 1 and practice it. Your plan should include knowing 2 ways out of every room and having a designated meeting place outside and away from your house.