City officials, citizens and interested parties visited La Marque High School Tuesday, June 14, 2017, to participate in TxDOT’s open house and review the proposed IH 45 expansion project. Now, some businesses and citizens are wondering how they’ll be impacted and what they can do to make their voices heard.
City of La Marque has compiled a list of resources:
- TxDOT established a website with information, resources, and downloadable copies of the proposed expansion drawings: http://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/get-involved/about/hearings-meetings/houston/061317.html
- Wednesday, June 28, 2017, is the deadline for submitting comments and feedback. Either postmark the form provided at the open house or submit a request online.
- Subscribe for TxDOT project updates: https://public.govdelivery.com/accounts/TXDOT/subscriber/new?topic_id=TXDOT_235
- The City of La Marque and La Marque Economic Development Corporation are taking a proactive approach in attempting to notify property owners who will be directly impacted by the proposed expansion. Approximately 19.7 additional acres of right of way would be required resulting in three potential commercial displacements, according to TxDOT.
- The proposed expansion will happen in two sections. First, from FM 1764 to Main Street, will begin in 2019. Then, the second section will be constructed from south of Main Street to Galveston Causeway.
- City of La Marque is working with TxDOT to schedule a second public meeting. Please follow www.cityoflamarque.org and City of La Marque Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Nextdoor accounts for meeting updates.
- For project-related questions please contact:
- TxDOT Houston District Public Information Office, Reference the following project numbers: 0500-04-103
- TxDOT Houston District
- Director of Project Development
- P.O. Box 1386
- Houston, Texas 77251-1386
The purpose of the proposed project would be to accommodate future traffic, reduce congestion, improve hurricane evacuation and improve safety. According to a TxDOT press release, the proposed project from FM 1764 north of the Galveston Causeway Bridge would consist of reconstructing and widening IH 45 from a six-lane interstate to an eight-lane interstate. Additionally, frontage roads would be reconstructed with a minimum of four 12-foot lanes (two in each direction), with bicycle accommodations. Five-foot-wide sidewalks would be constructed where feasible.
About the City of La Marque: The City of La Marque is strategically situated in Galveston County approximately 15 miles from the southern city limit of Houston and four miles north of Galveston Island. La Marque has an estimated population of 16,000 and an area of 14.25 square miles. Citizens enjoy coastal living with the security of a hurricane protection levee system. The city provides a wide range of programs including Bayou Fest, an annual concert series and BBQ Cookoff; Magical Winter Lights, a 52-day holiday lantern festival and Crawfish Bash, an annual crawfish cookoff that earned Guinness Book of World Records ranking in 2017. City of La Marque boasts easy access to world-class medical, travel and entertainment options. For business, La Marque offers developmental incentives, an abundance of commercial property and build-to-suit opportunities. La Marque is the Gateway to the Gulf. Discover the possibilities at www.cityoflamarque.org.
Colleen Merritt, MA, Public Relations Specialist
La Marque Economic Development Corporation
1130 1st Street, La Marque, TX 77568
(409) 938-9255 Office
(409) 795-0165 Cell