What has changed: Disturbance in the Gulf has developed into a tropical depression, strengthened slightly since last advisory. Tracking to our south but wind and rain still expected.
July 23, 2020
Tropical Depression 8 is strengthening in the Gulf of Mexico. It’s tracking to our south but please continue to monitor conditions and be prepared. Stay weather aware, La Marque. Keep an eye out for Tropical Storm watches and warnings Friday and Saturday.
- The most likely time of arrival of tropical storm force winds for the Southeast Texas Coast is Friday night or Saturday morning for most of the coastal areas, from northeast to southwest.
- Tropical Depression 8 in the Gulf has intensified slightly. Maximum sustained winds 35 mph.
- Tropical Storm Warnings now in effect for much of the Texas coast, extending from San Luis Pass to Port Mansfield. Tropical Storm Watch San Luis Pass to High Island.
- TD 8 is forecast to intensify to a tropical storm before making landfall on the Texas coast Saturday. Current intensify forecast at landfall 50 mph but still uncertain.
- Storm Total rainfall forecast valid Friday through Sunday 3 to 5 inches near the coast, 2 to 4 inches just inland, 1 to 2 inches well inland.
- Locally higher amounts possible in any heavier rain bands.
- Heaviest rain would occur mainly Friday Night and Saturday
Download the latest weather information from the National Weather Service Houston- Galveston.
July 22, 2020
The disturbance in the Gulf of Mexico has become better organized. There is now an 80 percent chance of developing into a Tropical Storm or Tropical Depression over the next 48 hours. The storm is expected to reach the Texas Gulf Coast Friday or Saturday.
Keep an eye out for Tropical Storm watches and warnings this weekend. The main threats are heavy rain with possible flash flooding. Rainfall from 3 to 5 inches is expected for coastal counties. Elevated surf and gusty winds are also possible.
Behind the storm expected this weekend, Tropical Storm Gonzalo has formed in the Atlantic. It’s hurricane season, La Marque. If you haven’t already, make a plan for your family and your pets. Get enough supplies and water to last a week and make an evacuation plan. Please check on your neighbors or family members who might need help.