PROBLEM - La Marque has from 500-700 water meters turned off due to broken lines. The waitlist for a plumber is between two and three weeks & people can't wait that long. SOLUTION - Tink designed an Emergency Service plan to get the water turned back on.
La Marque City Manager Tink Jackson implemented the Emergency Water Service Release program for citizens and businesses impacted by water leaks from the February 2021 winter storm.
PROBLEM - La Marque has from 500-700 water meters turned off due to broken lines on the homeowner or business owner side. As repairs are completed, folks are ready for those meters to be turned back on. Our city code requires a plumber to sign off on the repair before being inspected and released. Unfortunately, the waitlist for a plumber is between two and three weeks. People can't wait that long to have water back in their homes.
SOLUTION - We still have permit requirements for repairs. Fees have been waived for this disaster and the following process has been implemented by City Administration to help get water flowing in La Marque's homes and businesses.
1) Get your free permit from the Development Services Department by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
2) Complete the repair. Repairs can be done by a licensed plumber or yourself if you are capable.
3) Call Public Works at 409-938-9280 and ask for your meter to be turned back on.
4) The city will grant an Emergency Release for the water to be turned back on and a Public Works crew will be dispatched to your address.
5) A city inspector will come by and look at the repair as soon as possible. Small repairs will have the plumber certification waived. Larger repairs will require plumber certification. The city will make that determination at the time of the inspection.
6) Citizens will be given 60 days to complete the plumber certification if the city inspector deems it necessary.
This plan should help us get water back to our affected homes and businesses faster. We're doing everything we can to expedite the permitting process for emergency water line breaks. If you need help or have questions, please call La Marque Public Works at 409-938-9280.